This forum is for discussing your own experiences at Redmire.

#13844 by duce
Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:32 am
Really enjoyed your write up. Congratulations on your catch.

#13845 by delboy
Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:07 pm
I enjoyed that, cheers. Not the first time that, that Linear has been out this year (at least the third time that I know of).

#13847 by Tencherman
Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:43 am
Thanks for the inspirational account Gurn - very much appreciated by our group of four due at the Pool on Sunday, for three days.
The excitement mounts by the hour :D :D

BTW any sign of gudgeon or eels at all?

Simon

#13848 by Gurn
Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:36 pm
Hi tencherman,
I didn't take my gudgeon rod this year, but there is usually a shoal to be found in Cranstouns. No eels were caught at all by my group but Les tells me it has been a bumper year for them. Judging by the amount of carp activity when I was there, I would strongly recommend that you take a good look at the Open Pitch, I nearly moved there...twice.

#13849 by NickRoberts
Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:20 pm
Thanks for the write up Gurn.
If I'm lucky again next year I quite fancy a few days in the Same swim you opted for.
I was in Keffords this year and it was quite tight in there for room but with only having a weekend I chose to stay rather than move.
All the best

Nick

#13850 by Tencherman
Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 pm
Gurn wrote:I would strongly recommend that you take a good look at the Open Pitch, I nearly moved there...twice.

Appreciate the top-tip Gurn. If I'm successful in the draw when we arrive that's my pitch for the 3 days sorted :D

... and if it does the trick I'll make sure you're rewarded :wink:

We have a prize for anyone catching 'The Redmire Trinity' and I intend to win it !

#13851 by andyd
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 am
I fished the open pitch for the weekend in early October. I had a run on a zig at about 5ft depth, about half way across and a little to the left. However, the other thing is, watch that step when you charge out of the bivvy in the early hours! :o So close to "being at one with the pool".

#13852 by Tencherman
Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:44 pm
andyd,

I had been contemplating a zig approach on one rod to see what happens. Any particular colour or shape?

#13853 by andyd
Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm
It was a cut down cell pop up. Randomly cut down, no particular shape. Absolutely screaming run at first light on the Saturday, I still don't know how I missed it. I was trying to fish a zig not far below the surface, but I was getting a lot of grief from the aquatic bird life.

#13854 by Tencherman
Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:54 pm
Thanks andyd - I'll let you know how it goes as long as I'm not blown away by the storm that's forecast :shock:

#13856 by ten-changler
Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 am
Hello Tencherman....

I fished pitchfords a couple of weeks ago. There were plenty of gudgeon in the right hand margins. They kept leaping. I caught quite a few on maggots and then as dusk arrives you are almost guaranteed an eel. Just keep a few maggots going in.
No Carp though I did have a blistering run on the last moning and the fish came off pretty much straight away.
Good luck and batten down those hatches!

Dave

#13857 by Tencherman
Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 am
ten-changler wrote:
I fished pitchfords a couple of weeks ago. There were plenty of gudgeon in the right hand margins. They kept leaping. I caught quite a few on maggots and then as dusk arrives you are almost guaranteed an eel. Just keep a few maggots going in.

Dave

Thank you dave - if I can capture a 'Redmire Trinity' I shall be in your debt.