This forum is for discussing anything to do with Redmire Pool.
#15232 by blackmirror
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:30 pm
Ive lurked here for a long time (mainly reading the brilliant accounts of uncaught monsters) but this is my first post. Rather than speculate whether the big common turned up when Redmire was drained, my hypothetical question is:-

If it didnt turn up, does that mean it didn't exist? To make this evidence based, do most known carp turn up dead, or just never get caught again, both at redmire and elsewhere?
#15233 by Nick
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:50 am
That's a difficult question to answer.

Some carp turn up when they die, but others are dragged off and eaten by all sorts of wildlife so never show up to us anglers or those that bailiff the Pool.

In winter it is especially difficult to monitor fish mortality as during December and January there are some gaps in anglers visiting the Pool. And then there are the longer hours of darkness where seeing what is going on around the Pool can be impossible.

So, that's as close as I can get to for an answer on this particular subject.
#15234 by blackmirror
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:19 pm
Thank you Nick.

In terms of carp from redmire we know the fate of, I can think of clarissa, the bishop and rasperry?!.....

What are the other known carp and did they all turn up dead eventually or just seemingly disappear?
#15235 by Nick
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:23 pm
A few of the “known” bigguns have died and been identified over the years. But apart from the 3 you mention, I don’t know that there were ever that many ‘known’ fish in the pool.

Obviously there were easily identifiable fish, such as ‘no pelvics’ which we know died quite a few years back. But having said that, there were 2 other fish in the pool with no pelvic fins that were caught from time to time.

Unfortunately as the fish age nature takes its course and they eventually expire. It’s always sad when a known fish dies, as it is with any other of the pools inhabitants, but that’s what happens to them all eventually.